“Her Fitness has been just what I needed to get into shape. I was starting to see my weight climb the past couple of years and gained about 15 pounds. The final straw was having to take off my wedding rings because they just didn’t fit anymore. Since joining Her Fitness three months ago I’ve lost 10 pounds, have gotten in MUCH better shape and have my rings on again. I feel good about my body and am so glad that I found Marie and Her Fitness.”
How much do you move?
How often do you move?
Do you move just for fitness & health?
Do you move about for fun or functionality?
Do you squat, lift, stretch, reach, pull, push, bend, hold, climb up?
Are you barefoot, sneakers, flats or high-heels?
Are you clothed, naked, or half-dressed?
Are you breathing with all of your lung capacity or less than?
Do you run?
Do you walk?
Do you sleep with a pillow or without?
MOVEMENT! So much more than you think.
Katy Bowman, movement specialist and biomechanist, has had an influence on me. She studies movement like no one else I know of. Please check out her web site here : http://www.restorativeexercise.com/about-katy/
When you move well, you feel well. When you move well and are in alignment, you reduce your risk of disease (and joint pain, of course).
I have been moving better and feel better.
In addition to my specific exercises for fitness and alignment that is done at a specific time of the day, I also incorporate movement for the sake of moving and stretching – I just move in a way that feels like I need to or should. For instance, I may squat down low in the kitchen or do some hip swings at work.
Try moving. All types of moving. Regularly if you want to make a difference.
If you want some help in figuring out how to move better, just send me an e-mail at Marie@HerFitnessNJ.com or call 908-963-5257. We are located in Flemington and work exclusively with women. Our personal training systems are like no other in the area. So if you want to become Healthy, Fit and Strong, plus move better, feel better and look better, call Marie Ande at Her Fitness, today to set up your Success Session.
This week at Her Fitness we are introducing an innovative group training system. It’s called Smart Group Training (SGT) and while I’ve been certified in the Functional Movement Screen (FMS) and FMS Level 2 for some time, even bought SGT products on how to implement the system, something inside me was resisting taking the step.
Here is Lee Burton, the co-founder of the Functional Movement Screen, and me at Level 2 FMS earlier this year.
Recently I got Smart Group Training Certified and was part of the inaugural group. Yet, something was still holding me back. I don’t really know what I was waiting for or what I was afraid of, but I finally took the leap to implement this amazing system which further customizes my clients workouts so they will get EVEN BETTER results than before and increases their “workout longevity.”
Here are the founders of Smart Group Training, Steve Long & Jared Woolever, and me in July.
I bet you’ve experienced this type of “Wait until it’s a better time” kind of thing. Maybe you’ve decided to put off joining a gym or personal training program until the summer, in September when the kids go back to school, when your job wasn’t so hectic, when you lose some weight on your own first, when you “get into better shape” (yes, I’ve heard that one!) or when you have more money.
Whatever your reason for “Waiting for the perfect time” is, put it by the wayside because there is no time like the present to take one small step. Once you take the first step, you’ll get the ball rolling and feel good about the progress you are making.
If this sounds like you, here’s a great article from Precision Nutrition http://www.precisionnutrition.com/the-perfect-time?utm_source=PerfectTimeJuly15&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=PerfectTimeJuly15Email.
If you know you are ready to start working out, get healthy and lose some body fat, take control of your actions and call me, Marie, today at 908-963-5257. At Her Fitness we provide a safe and supportive environment to help women feel like themselves again (and get into those pants that have been sitting in the back of your closet for far too long!)
Why should you write down everything you eat and drink?
The most important reason is because it works!
Most of my clients find me because they want a safe, non-judgemental place to work out at and a trainer who will actually help them achieve the results they are after – Fat Loss!
Fat loss is important to many of us because we feel more energetic, healthier, more confident, stronger and just plain “Better” when we are of good body weight and “lean-ness.”
When a client comes to me and fat loss or improving health is her primary reason for showing up, one of the first things I have her start is a food journal.
Those who want to change, who want to look good, feel good, have more energy and fit into their short from two summers ago will follow my advice and fill out the food journal and hand it in.
It is a proven tool and winners of the fat loss game use it.
It’s just a tool.
What it is NOT is a judgement meter. I don’t really care what you are eating, I care that we fix what needs fixing.
I guess that’s not completely accurate because I do care what you are eating.
I care because I KNOW what you put into your mouth will make your body and mind feel good or feel poorly and I want you to feel GREAT! However, I don’t think differently of you as a person – as long as you have high morals and values, respect for others, don’t steal, your kind, etc. – if you drink a bottle of red wine and eat a block of cheese.
As your personal trainer and as a woman on a mission to help other women feel great, be strong and have positive, optimal health related influence on their families, the only reason I care is because I know the impact it will have on your body, emotions and spirit.
Start today on your own food journal and stop putting emotions on the food you eat, just ask for help on how to build strategies around eating better quality foods that will give you more energy, confidence, strength and health.
Liz started working with me 1 year ago. I remember our first one-to-one meeting. She was reluctant at first. I’m pretty sure she was thinking “Yeah, right. How’s this going to be different from other things I’ve tried.”
Well, 1 year later and 55 pounds lighter, she’s still at Her Fitness and still “literally working her A** off” as Liz likes to say! Congratulations Liz on your hard work and efforts! After all, you don’t even fit into your “goal” clothes…they’re too big!
Liz went out of her comfort zone big time…joining in a group of women, not just a couple other people, but 10-15 other people at the same time. She gets up way earlier than she really wants to, does workouts on her own, shows up for her appointments with me for measurements, motivational chats, movement screens and anything else I throw her way. Liz even gives up her free time at Christmas to help me with my “Wrapping Extravaganza” client appreciation event.
Liz is the bomb at home, too. She’s always talking about her family and loving relationship with her three sisters, takes care of her nieces and nephew and helps her parents and grandmother.
Liz’s favorite piece of workout equipment is Resistance Bands and she thinks other women should workout at Her Fitness because it’s not just a gym – it’s a lifestyle change! She’s learned better nutrition and improved mindset. Oh, yeah..one last tidbit about Liz…her secret ambition is to take over the world!
Chances are you’ve experienced hunger pangs. It’s normal for your body to send a signal to your brain saying “Time to eat! Refuel now!”. It normally happens when we haven’t eaten for a few hours or when we’ve recently expended a LOT of energy.
What would you do, however, if you felt hungry throughout the day and yet, you just finished eating an hour ago and the most energy you expended was walking to the vending machine at work or folding some laundry at home?
You might be tempted to search for a pill or cure, something to quell the pangs of hunger…especially if you are steadily gaining weight (and it’s showing up around your belly making you feel as un-sexy as ever.)
Instead of looking for a magic pill to suppress your appetite, look to make some meaningful changes in your life that will truly make you feel better, look better and be healthier (and feeling sexy again!).
Here are some tips that will help you feel satisfied with an appropriate amount of food leading to you feeling great:
- Get 7-9 hours of quality sleep. This is probably the most important thing you can do to get your appetite back to normal. It’s also the hardest to get under control, but well worth the effort. Improper hormonal shifts happen when you don’t get enough quality sleep, causing you to be hungry and crave fat storing starchy foods and sweets leading you to want more starchy foods and sweets! Making sleep a priority will solve 98% of your problems (food, relationship, health, weight gain and more). Since sleep is highly undervalued in our society, it’s easy to make yourself believe that you are just weak if you seem to need and want more than five hours per night. Don’t put this number one tip off for another night!
- Drink water. Most people are walking around dehydrated and you sometimes confuse the need for water with hunger. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water. If you are greatly overweight and that number seems daunting, aim for 80 ounces per day. Herbal tea can count towards this amount. (Make sure your herbal tea does not contain soy.)
- Eat lean protein (like turkey, chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef or eggs) and vegetables with every meal and snack. You’ll be more energetic and your body will run and function at a more optimal level.
- Decrease the amount of stress you perceive. Yes, you read correctly – perceive. Most of our emotional stress is self-induced. You can only control your actions and your perception. Before you take on emotional stresses, decide if is something you have control over (and if you do, take action!). If you don’t have control – stop making it an event in your brain and move on. Plus, high stress levels make many women eat mindlessly and go for the belly- fat loving starches and sweets (again!).
- Do something joyful every day. Yes, today and every day. I’m guilty of not doing this one every day and I’m changing that. Although I exercise at least 5-6 times per week and find it enjoyable, I also know I need to do more. What do you find joy in? Make a list of different things that take different amounts of time. Maybe buying and smelling fresh flowers (a sinful pleasure to some, but so worth it!). Perhaps you like to read for pleasure, but lately you only read for work. Take 30 minutes to yourself and read a trashy novel or thrilling drama. Go for a walk, play with your dog, visit a friend, take your grandmother to lunch, journal, play kickball with your kids, hula-hoop in your kitchen or dance in your living room. Do something that puts a smile on your face and you look forward to doing everyday.
- Get outside. Go for a walk. Moving your body and getting some sun and fresh air will do amazing things for your body and mind. Find the time for this and if you don’t feel like you have the energy to walk around the block, go to your mailbox and back. Make it short, make it easy and gradually increase the distance.
Following these few tips will get you 80% to your goal, make you feel fantastic, full of energy and not looking for a magic pill that only messes with your hormones.
If you think you need help in figuring out how to implement these steps into your life, give Her Fitness a call today. We’ll help you get started on a path to better health so you can feel great and look great!
As my 1 year anniversary with Marie Ande (Her Fitness) approaches I have a lot to be thankful for and am very grateful my neighbor asked me to go “try” one of Marie’s workouts. I’ve been active and exercised all of my life and even have a college degree in Corporate Fitness. And with all that being said, meeting Marie and working her “total” fitness program, I am very pleased with all of the results I have attained: lower body fat, increase lean muscle mass, overall core strength and energy.
I can be my worst enemy and so much is a mental game for me with making, reaching and sustaining my fitness goals. One of the most significant differences with joining Her Fitness compared to the other gyms I’ve been a member is the 100% dedication Marie has with her clients. The accountability was very obvious and if I missed a workout, she would follow up with me as to why. Her program is all encompassing and if you work the program it will show amazing results. Marie approaches mind, body and soul into her program. Every woman is at their own level of fitness, health status, age, etc., and Marie individualizes all of our workouts based on what we need.
I realize I am the only one that can make these changes in my health, fitness and overall well being, but without Marie I would not be where I am today. I am very fortunate to have met Marie and Her Fitness program and am very dedicated to keep setting goals and sustaining them.
I recommend Her Fitness to all women that are ready to take charge of their overall health, fitness and well being.
Thank you Marie!!
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups diced apples
- 6 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup packed mint torn into pieces
- 5 pieces well cooked AIP approved crispy bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Shred chicken. I used rotisserie chicken, but you can use roasted, boiled or baked chicken. Also use any part of the chicken (thighs, breast, leg meat).
- Slice core out of apples and dice apples into 1/2 inch sized pieces. I left skin on apples.
- Slice cabbage in half and cut away white core. Cut in half again and very thinly slice cabbage. I used a small head of cabbage, so you may not need a full head to get 6 cups of shredded cabbage. Use any extra cabbage you have in another recipe.
- Trim stems off of mint and finely shred leaves with your hands.
- Bake bacon in oven on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees until crispy. You will need a cookie sheet that has a rim around the whole thing so the bacon grease won’t drip.
- To make dressing, I used an immersion hand blender, but you can use a regular blender too. Add avocado, olive oil, pinch salt, lemon juice and zest. Blend until smooth; about 1 minute.
- In a big bowl, add cabbage, mint, apple, bacon, chicken. Toss well. Then add all of dressing and toss again.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 large or 2 small grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly with a mandoline or sharp knife